top of page

Heworth ARLFC

Clock Face Miners v Heworth Match Report

Impact Performance National Confere

nce League Division 1 Heworth, despite lacking a number of regular players, recorded an impressive 36-4 victory on a greasy rain-soaked pitch at St Helens outfit Clock Face Miners. The Villagers who led 20-0 at the break achieved their success on the back of an outstanding rock solid

defensive effort coupled with their ability to make light of the difficult handling conditions to produce seven tries whilst restricting their opponents to just a solitary touchdown.

Heworth went straight on the attack after being gifted possession when the hosts knocked on from the opening kick off but they were unable to capitalise on the error. It was a different story though on 11 minutes when another handling mistake created good field position for the Villagers and this time they took full advantage when after a quick shift to the left across the face of the posts stand-off Ben Dyson-Dent sent prop Liam Richmond striding over the line to touch down and scrum half George Elliott added the extras for a 6-0 lead. Despite the early score the Miners hit back to create some strong pressure on the visitors line but their defence proved up to the task and on 28 minutes they went further in front when Elliott stormed through a gap to cross on the right edge for an unconverted score. Heworth were now firmly on the front foot and seven minutes later full back Fraser West made good ground over the halfway line and after being half tackled made further progress before handing on to centre Harrison Briggs who in turn sent winger Adam Dent racing away down the left flank and round under the posts for substitute Jack Sadler to tag on the simple conversion to a superbly worked try. It got even better for the Villagers a couple of minutes later when the hosts spilt a towering spiral kick from

Elliott and winger Callum Childs was on hand to snap up the loose ball and send centre Billy Sturdy speeding away to score for a heal

thy 20-0 half time lead. The Black and Whites again came out firing at the start of the second period and increased their lead after just four minutes when the Miners failed to gather another Elliott kick and this time it was Briggs who hacked on the ball and followed up to touch down for a fine opportunist effort. Two minutes later there was no way back for the hosts after a trademark slick handling movement led to Richmond crossing for his second touchdown which Elliott improved to put them out of sight at 30-0. The onslaught continued and on 51 minutes hooker Harley Axe weaved his way past several defenders to score what turned out to be the Villagers final try and Elliott's third conversion made it 36-0. Heworth though received a setback shortly after the hour mark following the unfortunate dismissal of Axe for alleged contact with the head in the process of being tackled. Being reduced to twelve players only seemed to galvanise Heworth and despite a determined rally by the hosts to force home their advantage a resilient defensive effort kept them at bay and it wasn't until six minutes from time that they were able to cross for a consolation touchdown from second rower Tom Taylor. In a superb all round team performance Fraser West was voted Man of the match for the Villagers.

Heworth now have a three week lay-off before the eagerly awaited clash with fellow promotion contenders and old rivals Egremont Rangers on Saturday 2 September at Elmpark Way with automatic promotion virtually assured for the winners.


bottom of page