top of page

Heworth ARLFC

Heworth 4 vs 44 West Hull. NCL Premier Division round 14. Sat 29/6/24.

In the National Conference League Premier Division Heworth fell to a crushing 44-4 defeat at the hands of old rivals and impressive League leaders West Hull at Elmpark Way. The visitors showed their class to post five first half tries and forge an unassailable 28-0 lead as the Villagers struggled to cope with the power and pace of the relentless Humberside outfit. Heworth to their credit battled away gamely to restrict the visitors to three touchdowns in the second period and showed some good handling skills in attack but for the most part were unable to penetrate a solid defensive line intent on keeping a clean sheet. Eventually however, their persistence was rewarded with a late consolation try just two minutes from the final whistle.

The hosts did not have the best of starts when after four minutes they spilt the ball when exiting their twenty-metre area and visiting winger Elliott Middlemas snapped up possession and raced away unopposed to go over for their first try which was converted by hooker Danny Nicklas. On the quarter hour mark they doubled their advantage with a touchdown from lively stand off Josh Wood again goaled by Nicklas for a 12-0 lead. The visitors continued to look threatening but the home defence worked hard to keep them at bay until on 29 minutes some slick handling by Heworth looked to have created an overlap on the right edge but they failed to find the final pass and the chance went begging. West Hull's responded immediately with a sweeping move down their left flank which led to centre Jay Lennon crossing for their third score which was improved by Middlemas to put them eighteen points ahead. The visitors were now firmly on the front foot and went on to post two further touchdowns in the closing ten minutes from prop Zeus Silk and winger Kieran Masike one of which was converted by Middlemas for a healthy

28-0 interval lead.

The second half proved to be one of damage limitation by the Black and Whites who refused steadfastly to lie down in the face of relentless pressure by the rampant visitors who went on to register three further touchdowns with a brace from Silk to complete his hat trick and centre Tom Verity along with a conversion apiece for Nicklas and substitute Kieran Welburn. It was the hosts though who had the final word two minutes from time when the visitors failed to deal with a neat kick from full back Fraser West behind their own line and winger George Burton was on hand to touch down but it was scant consolation on a tough afternoon for the Villagers.

Loose forward Jack Aldous took the Man of the match award for Heworth with stand off Ben Dent, prop Ben Barnard and hooker Harley Axe also prominent.

Next Saturday the Villagers make the second of three long trips to Cumbria to face Wath Brow Hornets. Kick off 2.30p.m.

Report - Dave Ward.


bottom of page