top of page

Heworth ARLFC

Heworth v Stanningley Match Report


Friday night in Impact Performance National Conference League Division 1 Heworth maintained their push for automatic promotion with a comfortable 42-22 success over Stanningley at Elmpark Way. The Villagers, who always looked the better side throughout the contest, led 22-6 at the break after a lightning start which produced four tries in the opening 21 minutes to ensure that the Leeds outfit, despite a determined second half rally were never able to make up the deficit.

Heworth went straight on the attack and opened their account after just two minutes when hooker Harley Axe dummied his way over direct from acting half back close to the line for an unconverted effort. Four minutes later they went further ahead after a quick shift to the right led to winger Billy Sturdy producing a spectacular one handed diving finish by the corner flag which was augmented by an excellent touchline conversion from stand-off Danny Allan. On 18 minutes second rower Liam Richmond stormed through a gap to score off a superbly timed pass by Allan who also added the extras to make it 16-0. It was looking even better for the Villagers three minutes later when Allan was again the provider for loose forward Ben Dyson-Dent to cross for the their fourth try which the stand-off improved for a 22 point lead. The remainder of the half became a frustrating one for the hosts who lost their momentum after being faced with a mounting penalty count in favour of the visitors which led to a strong period of pressure on the home line but a resilient defensive effort and their failure to match Heworth's superior handling restricted them to a solitary touchdown by substitute Glenn Metcalfe, goaled by stand -off Adam Butterill.

The second period became a tit-for-tat affair and it was the home side who went further ahead after three minutes when a grubber kick close to the line by scrum half Liam Jackson ricocheted off a defenders leg and Axe followed up to touch down for his second try. Allan tagged on the two points to make it 28-6. It took just three minutes for Stanningley to respond with a touchdown by hooker Jack Sykes improved by Butterill. On 50 minutes the Villagers produced a trademark flowing handling move to the left edge which sent winger Adam Dent racing away down the touchline before handing on to the supporting Craig to cross for a stunning score which Allan converted. The visitors again replied immediately after the hosts failed to deal with the re-start kick off substitute Stephen Welton crossed for another Butterill goaled effort to make it 34-18. Heworth though despite the defensive lapses were able to put the game to bed and on 57 minutes Craig registered a brace after another crisp passing move exposed the visitors left edge before eight minutes later Richmond also notched his second after getting on the end of a neat grubber kick by Allan who also added his fifth goal to make it 42-18. With nine minutes left on the clock Stanningley substitute Jack Phipps went over for a consolation try to complete the scoring.

Ben Dyson-Dent was the Villagers Man of the match with Craig, Richmond and Allan in close contention

Next Saturday Heworth travel to St Helens to take on Clock Face Miners. kick off 2.30p.m.

Dave Ward

Heworth ARLFC


bottom of page