top of page

Heworth ARLFC

National Conference League Premier division | Lock Lane 10 vs 22 Heworth ARLFC.

Heworth, at the second time of asking, got off the mark in the National Conference League Premier Division with an excellent 22-10 victory in blustery conditions at Lock Lane. The Villagers were not quite at their best and struggled with their execution on occasions but they were never behind in the contest and led 10-4 at the break before going on to post two quickfire tries early in the second period to put themselves eighteen points ahead at 22-4. The Castleford outfit were only able to respond with a converted try on the hour mark but despite a determined effort to get back into the match a resolute Heworth defence stood firm to run out worthy winners.

The early exchanges were evenly contested with both sides experiencing difficulty in adapting to the gusty crosswind which led to frequent handling errors. It was the Villagers though who were first to settle and they did so in impressive fashion on fourteen minutes when hooker Harley Axe scooted away from dummy half in centre field on the halfway line and made good ground before handing on to supporting scrum half Jack Sadler who set up a quick shift to the left edge and centre Harrison Briggs crossed for a superbly worked try. On a difficult day for kickers stand off Danny Allan stroked over a fine conversion for a 6-0 lead. Six minutes later they extended their advantage to ten points when Allan's excellent pass sent second rower Liam Richmond striding through a gap to go over for an unconverted score. On 24 minutes the hosts hit back with a touchdown by winger Ben Martin to reduce the deficit to four points. The remainder of the half developed into a scrappy affair and with both sides struggling to maintain any cohesion and turning over possession at regular intervals neither were able to trouble the scoreboard and the visitors went in 10-4 ahead at the break.

With all to play for an early score for either team was vital and it was Heworth who gained the initiative after just ten minutes when loose forward Jack Aldous fed second rower Ben Dent who flicked out an audacious back handed pass to send centre George Elliott striding away and draw the cover defence before handing on to Sadler who went over to the right of the posts for Allan to add the extras to make it 16-4. It got even better for the Villagers five minutes later when a quick shift to the left edge led to winger Billy Sturdy stepping inside and evading several would be tacklers to cross for a fine try which Allan again goaled to extend the lead to eighteen points. The home side gave themselves a glimmer of hope on the hour mark with a try by centre Tommy Newbould improved by stand off Callum Butler to bring them back within twelve points which galvanised their efforts and led to their best spell of the match in which they exerted strong pressure on the visitor's line. Heworth though were in no mood to surrender and some resilient and physical defending kept them at bay to deservedly return home with the spoils.

Danny Allan took the Villagers Man of the match award.

Heworth take a rest for next weeks Easter break and are next in action on Saturday 6 April when Siddal are the visitors to Elmpark Way. Kick off 2.30pm.

Match report - Dave Ward.


bottom of page